Hi there, thanks for stopping by the blog. It can be hard to find lesson content for St. Valentine so I decided to do a bit of rooting online and compile two lessons. One for the Junior levels and one for the Senior levels which you can tailor to your needs.
Please scroll down to find Senior lessons at the top and Junior lesson at the end of this post.
I usually use this kind of lesson for History, Religion, Music, and Art for the Junior classes. There are also opportunities to link Valentines with Green Schools or the Environment in Geography if you were to use figures easily found online about wastage on St. Valentines Day. It can also be linked to Geography if we look at how Valentine’s day is celebrated around the world.
Here are some ideas, below you will find lesson ideas, PowerPoints, Videos, and Worksheets, I hope it helps.
If you like the blog, why not follow it, or like it on facebook to get new lessons regularly.
Lesson ideas for 3rd – 6th Class if adapted
Show an image of marmite and valentines and ask your class what the two images have in common:
I would use this to create a discussion:
- What do you think the message is about Valentines? Discuss with your friends.
- Why do you think some people like Valentines and why others do not?
- Who might benefit from Valentines?
- Have you ever heard of St. Valentine?
- Why do you think there is a day named after him?
2. Explain that we will be learning about St. Valentine and create a WILF chart about St. Valentine (chart from https://kpike92.wordpress.com/2015/03/16/introducing-walt-wilf-and-tib/
I would put my main objective here: Two new pieces of information about Who Saint Valentine is? Why we celebrate this day etc.
3. I would then complete a KWL chart, link to chart here: http://tweenteaching.blogspot.ie/2012/08/kwl-chart.html
4. PowerPoint about Saint Valentine for Senior Classes
Here are some images from the PowerPoint so you know what you are downloading. I found this PowerPoint on TES.co.uk at this link: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/the-story-of-valentine-powerpoint-6034779
5. Lovely video about St. Valentine from youtube:
6. A very good video for fifth and sixth class about Saint Valentine:
7. Printable story on St. Valentine with a comprehension questions from https://theweeklyplan.com/
link here: Valentine’s Day
8. Another Reading Comprehension worksheet about St. Valentine with great comprehension questions and writing prompts from www.abcteach.com
link to download PDF here: rc_valentine_legend
9. Fill in the blanks worksheet
Link to this worksheet here: worksheet
Geography: How People Around the World Celebrate Valentine’s Day
How to say I love you around the world
Lesson on Saint Valentines for the Junior Classes to Second Class (if adapted). Please edit to your needs.
PowerPoint for the Junior Classes found and edited to make suitable for my class:
Link to download PowerPoint here: Valentine’s Day younger 2 edited
Song for Infants
Saint Valentine Word search for First or Second Class:
St. Valentine Colouring Sheet